ADSM-L

Re: TSM Client Acceptor Service

2002-02-13 19:11:53
Subject: Re: TSM Client Acceptor Service
From: Nicholas Cassimatis <nickpc AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 19:09:11 -0500
Not to mention that you'd have to do this on a copy pool, as this is for DR
reasons.  Also assuming that this copy pool will be offsite.  So you'll be
sending volumes offsite daily with very few files on them.  Which, if your
reclaim threshold is set to a normal 60%, will cause the tapes to be
reclaimed the moment they're ejected to go offsite.  Which will cause you
to use the same number of tapes again, one per filespace.

Now, at the DR site, you have to have at least the same number of tape
drives available as filespaces to make this work.  Fairly expensive for a
single client restore, not practical for multiple clients, who will also
want tape drives.

The best thing I've found, through my experience, is to take periodic "full
backups" (I do archives), then, at the DR site, restore (retrieve) that
backup, then pull the incremental backups since then.  Using a normal copy
pool (no collocation), and staggering the days of the "full" backup, you
can keep the clients from fighting for tapes and keep your drives at
maximum utilization, as well as reducing the number of tapes mounted to
restore a client.

Nick Cassimatis
nickpc AT us.ibm DOT com

Today is the tomorrow of yesterday.

                      Doug Thorneycroft
                      <dthorneycroft@la        To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                      csd.org>                 cc:
                      Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject:  Re: TSM Client
Acceptor Service
                      Dist Stor
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      02/12/2002 04:08
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      "dthorneycroft@la
                      csd.org"

Look up colocation in the administrator guide. You set colocation
at the sequential storagepool, not at the client.
Setting colocation to filespace will have a big impact on your tape
usage and processing, so be sure to read everything in the guide first.