ADSM-L

Re: Backup Sets for Long Term Storage

2002-02-13 15:20:54
Subject: Re: Backup Sets for Long Term Storage
From: "Mr. Lindsay Morris" <lmorris AT SERVERGRAPH DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 15:18:06 -0500
Some people have worried that their 7-year archive tapes might only have a
5-year shelf life.
It seems to me that reclamation would, over the years, do enough
tape-to-tape copies to detect when a tape was going bad.
Then you would presumably "move data" off the bad tape, discard it, and your
archive would be safe on a good tape.

But with backupsets, there's no reclamation, so this wouldn't happen.

A small concern IMHO. I just wanted to muddy the waters a bit.  ;-}

Mr. Lindsay Morris
Mr. Lindsay Morris
CEO
Applied System Design