ADSM-L

Re: Backup Sets for Long Term Storage

2002-02-13 13:34:00
Subject: Re: Backup Sets for Long Term Storage
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 13:20:07 -0500
Mike, if I were going to do this I'd use DLT based upon the manufacturer's
propa\\\\\ documentation.

OTOH, here's what I've done:

1) set up archive copygroups with retentions of 1 year through 7 years
(seven groups) all pointed to the same storage pool chain (disk and tape).
2) treat the storage just like everything else -- one copy on-site, and a
copy pool for off-site.

I run reclaims as required and otherwise exercise the LTO media once or
twice a month.

If I were to do the backup set process, I'd make bloody sure that the owner
of the data had the tapes AND HAD SIGNED FOR THEM so if they got lost or
damaged I wouldn't be in the loop.

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc