ADSM-L

Antwort: Re: root required to kill TSM daemons?

2015-10-04 17:12:13
Subject: Antwort: Re: root required to kill TSM daemons?
From: Peter Sattler [mailto:Peter.Sattler AT COMPAREX DOT DE]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Hi Paul,

you do need root privilege to achieve this BUT

you may either create a suid program that does this for you ( not a
script, too easy to cheat ) OR

you may want to use some open source software, I have made good
expierences with sudo ( see open source pages like gnu.org ). This package
has its own security rules allowing non-root users to run root programs

Good luck

Peter

                    Paul Zarnowski
                    <vkm AT CORNELLC.CIT DOT CO        An:     ADSM-L AT
VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    RNELL.EDU>                  Kopie:
                    Gesendet von: "ADSM:        Thema:  Re: root required to
kill TSM daemons?
                    Dist Stor Manager"
                    <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT ED

                    10.02.2002 13:34
                    Bitte antworten an
                    "ADSM: Dist Stor
                    Manager"

It is possible to run TSM as a non-root userid, in which case you wouldn't
need root privs to kill it.  However, I still find there are times when it
is necessary to reboot AIX to clear an I/O problem.

At 10:41 AM 2/8/2002 -0800, Cheryl Miller wrote:
>We just converted to TSM 4.2.1.9 from NetBackup. We are finding that our
>group needs to be able to stop the TSM daemons and start the start up
>script, instead of always having the system admin. do this. Right now I am
>told that there is no work around for root privileges being needed to kill
>the TSM daemons. I'm wondering how other shops get around this problem?
When