ADSM-L

Re: root required to kill TSM daemons?

2015-10-04 17:12:12
Subject: Re: root required to kill TSM daemons?
From: Len Boyle [mailto:SNOLEN AT VM.SAS DOT COM]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
In article <20020208.134220.358903.NETNEWS AT VM.SAS DOT COM>, Cheryl Miller
<millech AT WELLSFARGO DOT COM> says:

>We just converted to TSM 4.2.1.9 from NetBackup. We are finding that
>our group needs to be able to stop the TSM daemons and start the start
>up script, instead of always having the system admin. do this. Right
>now I am told that there is no work around for root privileges being
>needed to kill the TSM daemons. I'm wondering how other shops get
>around this problem? When our TSM server crashes, all of the clients
>that are getting backed up are Any ideas?? Do any of you have a work
>around for this problem? Tivoli had me open an enhancement request.
>
>....Cheryl

Hello Cheryl

How did you handle this with NetBackup. As that normally runs using root?

Maybe we can attack this from the other side. Tell us a little more about
your tsm software level. The type of hardware, the os and os level for the
tsm server and clients. What are the error messages that come out just
before the tsm server process dies.

For the most part you should not be seeing crashes and hangs. Maybe if you
can tell us a little more about your setup and the errors we can help point
you to a more stable  environment.

Regards len

Leonard Boyle                               snolen AT vm.sas DOT com
Leonard Boyle                               snolen AT vm.sas DOT com
SAS Institute Inc.                          ussas4hs@ibmmail
Room RB448                                  len.boyle AT sas DOT com
1 SAS Campus Drive                          (919) 531-6241
Cary NC 27513