ADSM-L

Re: root required to kill TSM daemons?

2002-02-08 16:47:30
Subject: Re: root required to kill TSM daemons?
From: Alex Paschal <AlexPaschal AT FREIGHTLINER DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 13:44:30 -0800
Haha!  I just thought of this one.  It might be morbidly attractive.

On TSM Server:
1. Create a node.  I'll use TEMPNODE.

On a workstation/server of similar OS where you have root:
2. Write the script to bounce the scheduler process (bounce.script).
3. Write and compile the C wrapper that runs the script to bounce the
scheduler (bounce.wrapper).
4. SUID on that wrapper so it runs as root.
5. Back up wrapper and script as TEMPNODE.

On TSM Server:
6. Create a CMD client schedule.
   cmd="dsmc -virtualnodename=tempnode -password=tempnodepw restore
/wherever/bounce.*"
7. Associate all appropriate nodes with this schedule.
8. After all nodes restore these files, shouldn't take more than longest
schedule poll period, they should all have bounce.script and SUID
bounce.wrapper.
9. Telnet/rlogin/ssh in and run the SUID wrapper whenever you like.

Note, I haven't tried this, and I'm not even sure if TSM restores the SUID
bit, but it might be worth a try seeing as how it keeps other security
attributes and you don't have any other options.

Alex Paschal
Storage Administrator
Freightliner, LLC
(503) 745-6850 phone/vmail