ADSM-L

Backup Security

2002-02-07 00:52:45
Subject: Backup Security
From: "Brown, Bud" <Bud.Brown AT DHHA DOT ORG>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 16:24:02 -0700
I have 2 Windows domains: domainA(win2k), & domainB(NT4).  My TSM
Servers(2) are RS/6000's running TSM 4.1.4.1, and AIX 4.3.3.  Currently,
I have only been backing up clients within domainA.  I have been posed
with the question, can I backup clients within domainB and provide
security for the data being backed.  For instance, can I make is so that
the data being backed up in domainB can only be restored to a computer
within domainB.

My understanding is that the answer is no, there is no authentication to
a domain other than to the associated TSM server.

The questions I have:

Is there a way with TSM to provide the security they are asking with my
current servers?

If a seperate Windows server running TSM were created, can I provide the
security they are asking me for?

All feedback is appreciated,

Bud Brown
Information Services