ADSM-L

Re: Archive and keep last accessed date.

2015-10-04 17:12:12
Subject: Re: Archive and keep last accessed date.
From: Danielsson Lars [mailto:Lars.Danielsson AT VOLVO DOT COM]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Daniel.

I agree the operating system changes the access date.

In the same time, I'm convinced you can take control of a file read to =
not
update the last accessed date or at least remember the date and put it =
back
again after the read.

I guess the TSM developers have the knowledge to fix an archive or =
backup
without updating the last accessed date.=20

From my point of view as a storage manager, centralised storage =
management
routines should never update the file attributes. They shall always =
reflect
the customer's/user's accesses.

I would like to see the TSM archive and TSM backup not updating the =
last
accessed date on the read files. In fact no infrastructure routine =
should
update the attributes. If I like to have a specific process for old =
files
(not used for a long time). How can I find them  to, for example,  =
archive
(with delete) if there have been some selective backups and/or archive =
(copy
only) executed. The files will not age right from the business point of
view.

   /Lars  =20
Lars Danielsson
Volvo Information Technology AB
Dept 2510, HD2S
SE-40508 Gothenburg, Sweden
Telephone: +46 31 667479 Telefax: +46 31 662336
mailto:Lars.Danielsson AT volvo DOT com>