ADSM-L

Re: Antwort: Re: low bandwitdth and big files

2015-10-04 17:13:42
Subject: Re: Antwort: Re: low bandwitdth and big files
From: Wholey, Joseph (TGA\MLOL) [mailto:JWholey AT EXCHANGE.ML DOT COM]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Nick,

I have client compression turned on also due to slow network (have no
choice).
But no one has been able to answer the following questions definitively:

1. Am I potentially doubling the size of certain files in the stg pool by
running multiple compression algorithms.?

2. By turning off DEVCLASS compression, is that effectively disabling
hardware compression performed by my tape device (IBM 3590 TAPE Device /
Cartridge)

3. If client compression and hardware compression are turned on, and
hardware compression isn't really buying me anything... won't the attempt at
hardware compression prevent streaming?  I think it
will.

I'm looking for YES/NO answers with a valid explanation.  Anyone?????

Regards, Joe