ADSM-L

FW: Antwort: Re: low bandwitdth and big files

2002-01-31 14:23:01
Subject: FW: Antwort: Re: low bandwitdth and big files
From: "Magura, Curtis" <curtis.magura AT LMCO DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 14:17:41 -0500
I'll throw in a slightly different twist. Maybe it has been in the thread
already but I missed it. We have the majority of clients running without
compression. We also provide backup services for some smaller satellite
sites where we do have client compression on. Same story.... Low bandwidth
connections.

In both cases the data all ends up at the same tape drives....which of
course have compression active.

So is this a bad thing... Can't say, but I'm interested to hear comments
back. It seems to make sense to activate the compression on the clients as
required. At the same time it makes sense to have the hardware compression
active.

Curt Magura
Lockheed Martin EIS
Gaithersburg, Md.