ADSM-L

Re: Netware 4.11 SP9 Client hangs.

2002-01-31 12:37:00
Subject: Re: Netware 4.11 SP9 Client hangs.
From: "Brian L. Nick" <BRIAN.NICK AT PHOENIXWM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 12:33:48 -0500
John and Jim,

 Thanks, for your replies. I found out that we are failing in the same
location every time we backup. Unfortunately I am not part of the Netware
group and I took me some doing to get the dsmsched.log. The funny thing
about this is that the backup was running with out any problems until
01/24/2002. We backup the SYS, APPS and DATA volumes with out error and
then we are attempting to backup a mapped volume. This is where the backup
hangs. I asked that the Netware support group check that the volume is
still mapped correctly and they are in the process of doing that now.

 I'm sure that there is a simple solution to this now that I have seen the
dsmsched and dsmerror logs. Thanks again for your input on this issue.

 Suddenly even as I type I just received a call from the Netware group
indicating that the mapped volume no longer needs to be backed up so they
are removing it from the dsm.opt file, hmmm odd isn't it??

 Thanks again for your time.
          Brian

Brian L. Nick
Systems Technician - Storage Solutions
The Phoenix Companies Inc.
100 Bright Meadow Blvd
Enfield CT. 06082-1900

E-MAIL:  Brian.Nick AT phoenixwm DOT com
PHONE:   (860)403-2281

                   "John Naylor"
                   <john.naylor@SCOTTISH-SOUTH        To:     ADSM-L AT
VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                   ERN.CO.UK>                         cc:
                   Sent by: "ADSM: Dist Stor          Subject:     Re: Netware
4.11 SP9 Client hangs.
                   Manager"
                   <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>

                   01/31/02 11:34 AM
                   Please respond to "ADSM:
                   Dist Stor Manager"

Brian,
I suppose you have done all the standard things.
Looked at logs etc.
Do you get any backups?
Does it always hang at the same time?
I have had problems with netware servers and sometimes when it hung it was
the
complexity of
the directory/file structure that was the problem.
Have you got verbose switched on in the opt file so you get more detailed
log
output, or have
you used sql to  pull out the timestamp on your backups so you can see how
and
where
it builds up to getting stuck

"Brian L. Nick" <brian.nick AT phoenixwm DOT com> on 01/31/2002 04:10:04 PM

Please respond to "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <adsm-l AT vm.marist DOT edu>