ADSM-L

Re: low bandwitdth and big files

2015-10-04 17:13:42
Subject: Re: low bandwitdth and big files
From: Matthew Glanville [mailto:matthew.glanville AT KODAK DOT COM]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
From: Matthew Glanville

Joe,

I do not believe there is such a thing as 'server' level compression.  My
understanding is that the device class compression settings are reflectin=
the hardware level compression settings, they can override what the
microcode may have set the 'default' to.

We have no problems at all with clients that compress with the tsm client=
,
and then compress again on the tape drive, you loose just a little bit of
space, and yes, the occupancy information does not know that the data has
already been compresssed.  There is really nothing wrong with compressing
data more than once, the files get a bit bigger, but it could be worth th=
time and bandwith saved.  Also don't forget that lots of data is stored
already compressed in zipped files or compressed images like jpeg and mpe=
g.

I would not touch with the compression settings on the device class, keep
them on at the highest level, just turn on or off the TSM client
compression as needed.  Check and see if that helps your low bandwith
backups.

Matthew Glanville
matthew.glanville AT kodak DOT com

"Wholey, Joseph (TGA\\MLOL)" <JWholey AT EXCHANGE.ML DOT COM>@VM.MARIST.EDU> on