ADSM-L

Re: Querying Client's Management Class

2015-10-04 17:13:42
Subject: Re: Querying Client's Management Class
From: mobeenm [mailto:mobeenm AT MICRON DOT COM]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
The query below is giving me the data about the management classes defined
in the domains with a retention over 5 yrs. This information is right. But
it need not necessarily mean that if an MC is defined in a domain its being
used by a node.

I think i am confusing people here. I shall try to put it in simple terms

1. I have 150 clients, say 50 NT Client, 50 UNIX Clients and 50 VMS Clients

2. I have been doing archives and backups on these clients.

3. There are 3 domains namely NT_DOMAIN, UNIX_DOMAIN and VMS_DOMAIN. All the
50 NT clients
   are defined in NT_DOMAIN, 50 Unix clients in UNIX_DOMAIN and 50 VMS
Clients in VMS_DOMAIN.

4. Each of the 3 active policy domains mentioned above has multiple
management classes in addition to the
   DEFAULT_MC. Each of these active policy domains has MCs with retentions
like 1yr, 2yr, 3yr and 5yrs while
   the DEFAULT_MC has a retention period of 180 days.

5. Many of the NT, UNIX, and VMS clients backup/archive data. For example a
UNIX node might backup the
   data using DEFAULT_MC (180 days retention) and the same node for some
filesystems might apply a
   retention period of 5yrs (this is done using include/exclude).

Now coming to my question

How do i find out which are the nodes in NT, VMS and UNIX domains that have
actually data backed up using management class using retention of 5yrs.

The query given below (by seay) is looking at the policy domains to
determine this. But some times there might be a situation where a 5yr MC
might be defined in the policy domain but it might not be used by some
nodes.

I would appreciate your help in answering this.

Thanks again
Mobeen