ADSM-L

The program I used to recover data from volues without the DB

2002-01-28 16:13:32
Subject: The program I used to recover data from volues without the DB
From: Thorhallur Sverrisson <thorhs AT DEMON.NYHERJI DOT IS>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 21:10:31 +0000
Hi everyone,

I promised to send you the program I used to recover ADSM volumes without
having a valid DB.

As I said before, I can not guarantee this will work for all tapes.  It
worked for me on an AIX 4.3 machine and restoring form 3.<something> ADSM,
from DLT volumes.  A former coworker wrote this with some code he got from
IBM, if I can remember correctly.  There was some minor tweaking needed to
restore NT volumes, but it is possible.  Bear in mind that this is NOT
to be used instead of good DB backups, emergecy use only.  You have no
idea if the files you are restoring are active or inactive.

I've created a sourceforge.net project around this so anyone interested
can participate in further developments/fixing.  The project is called
adsmtape (http://sourceforge.net/projects/adsmtape).  I will be adding
a tar file to the Files section for thos who do not want to use the
CVS system.

If you need any assistance, try using the forums on sourceforge, or
mailing me directly.  I will try to help everyone I can.

Best of luck,

Thorhallur