ADSM-L

Re: Backup of Sun OS

2002-01-28 04:04:58
Subject: Re: Backup of Sun OS
From: Robert Cross <Robert.Cross AT SCOTTISH-NEWCASTLE.CO DOT UK>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 09:01:41 +0000
Andrea MacMurray wrote:
>The problem is that our Unix team wants to backup a running Sun OS and
then later on restore this
>backed up OS backup and boot the machine from there, which of course did
not work.

Andrea: the answer is to use ufsdump/ufsrestore. We're in the same position
as you, and we ended up
with the locally-developed low-tech solution of using 8mm tapes with a tar
archive followed by the O/S ufsdumps. What we
then do in a DR is:
1:   Boot the destination system with an OS CD. This doesn't even have to
be the same OS level as
the one we're restoring, we just need a running system.
2:   Restore the tar archive and unpack it. This gives us a whole load of
documentation plus a script. We then run this
script which formats out the OS filesystems we need, (/, /usr, /var, etc).
3:   The script then restores the data from the tape, (only the OS areas,
not application/data areas), and finally does
an installboot using the boot block, (and installboot), just restored from
tape.
4:   Reboot with the newly restored OS, and TSM-restore everything else.

One of the things we're looking at is making boot images that could be
saved into TSM, and then reloaded via 'boot net -s', or
failing that a customised boot CD.

As other people have said you might want to seriously look at the Kernel
Group's 'Bare Metal Restore' product. However, if you check this
list's archive's you'll see that there are doubts over it's long term
future, given that Veritas now own it.

Oh, the other thing would be to use Sun's Jumpstart system along with
customised boot media. We're also looking at this, (as a low priority
item),
since it's standard and free, (I've got printed Jumpstart docs that came
with the installation media, but they're also available on docs.sun.com).

Regards

Robert Cross, EDS UK Ltd.

This message is confidential.  It may also be privileged or
protected by other legal rules.  It does not constitute an
offer or acceptance of an offer, nor shall it form any part
of a legally binding contract.  If you have received this
communication in error, please let us know by reply then
destroy it.  You should not use, print, copy the message or
disclose its contents to anyone.

E-mail is subject to possible data corruption, is not
secure, and its content does not necessarily represent the
opinion of this Company.  No representation or warranty is
made as to the accuracy or completeness of the information
and no liability can be accepted for any loss arising from
its use.

This e-mail and any attachments are not guaranteed to be
free from so-called computer viruses and it is recommended
that you check for such viruses before down-loading it to
your computer equipment.  This Company has no control over
other websites to which there may be hypertext links and no
liability can be accepted in relation to those sites.

Scottish & Newcastle plc
Registered in Scotland, Registered Number 16288
Registered Office: 33, Ellersly Road, Edinburgh, EH12 6HX