ADSM-L

Re: compression

2002-01-25 14:07:29
Subject: Re: compression
From: "William F. Colwell" <bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 14:04:22 -0500
Joe - if the 2 compresion processes are both software, the yes, the output of
the 2nd compression
will be large than its input.  But if the 2nd compression is being done by a
tape drive, the drive will be
smart enough to stop the compression if the file grows.  It least that is the
case for 3590 & 9840.

I am doing exactly what you are doing and I get 19.2 GB on a 9840, which is the
nominal uncompressed
capacity.

Bill Colwell

At 01:00 PM 1/25/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Currently running TSM v 4.1.3 on System\390.  Run compression on the client as
>well as harware compression on Device type Cartridge and 3590.  Ideally this
>is not the way to go... but we need to run
>compression on the client due to network constraints.  Is it a FACT that
>running a compression routine 2x will ultimately double the size of the
>original file?  Where can I find more info on this?
>Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
>Regards,
>Joe Wholey
>TGA Distributed Data Services