ADSM-L

Windows TSM-Client Crash

2015-10-04 17:13:42
Subject: Windows TSM-Client Crash
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Hello,

We just introduced TSM in our environment.  We are now backuping up
1 unix server and 12 Windows clients (Windows 2000 Server, SP2).

We are using TSM Server 4.2.1.9 on a Unix server (S7A) and use
TSM Client 4.2.1.20 on all the windows clients.
We use a 3583 Ultrium Tape Lib, with 2 drives.

Problem 1 :

Unfortunately we have problems with the TSM Client on 3 of our Windows
machines,

1 machine fails to start the TSM Scheduler service during boottime,
  if we start it manually, it runs, but crashes several times during back=
up.
 (we do an "autorestart", if the service fails)

the other 2 machines always start the backup, but the client (tsm
scheduler) crashes after a certain time,
are amount of files.  There is not really a fixed point where the service
crashes.  If backup
is launched from the scheduler, dsmsvc.exe crashes, if we start the backu=
manually with dsmc incr,
dmsc.exe crashes.

Does anybody know what the fastest way is to solve this ?

Problem 2 :

During migration from disk to tape, I can see (on the display) that the=
 2
tapedrives are not constantly writing data to
  tape, it's always writing for a short period of time, waiting for a lon=
ger
period, writing, and so on ...
  Is this normal ? Is there anything I can check or do ? Shouldn't the
tapestreamers really stream data from disk ?
  I know our situation is not ideal (the whole diskpool is on 1 disk), bu=
it is on another scsi-bus than the     tapestreamers.

Thank you very much in advance (sorry for all my questions, but this is j=
ust
my second TSM installation),

Wouter Verschaeve,
Unix System Engineer.