ADSM-L

size of library

2002-01-24 15:24:09
Subject: size of library
From: Kurt Beyers <kurt.beyers AT PANDORA DOT BE>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 21:24:10 +0100
Hello everybody,

TSM does a pretty good job on the tape management by space reclamation and
copying the primary pools to copy pools.

But I'm wondering how I can estimate the size of the library (number of slots,
type of drive) to reach this steady state of tape usage. Of course I've got the
following information:

total amount of data to be backupped (GB)
the number of versions I keep of the files
space reclamation of tape occurs when there is 55% free space on the tape

How can I estimate the number of tapes I'll be needing based on this info? Are
there any rules of thumb to size the library? Do I still need additional info
to calculate the library size?

Any suggestions /hints are more than welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Kurt