ADSM-L

Searching for a more efficient way to archive/backup Oracle datab ases

2002-01-21 12:57:32
Subject: Searching for a more efficient way to archive/backup Oracle datab ases
From: Jim Taylor <jtaylor AT ENLOGIX DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 09:52:14 -0800
We have several large Oracle databases (to 500 GB)

Presently using TSM we:

1. Flash copy (ESS) databases from a production instance to a query database
instance.
2. Archive query databases cold with the database down.
2. Use a script to stream the database archives directly to tape broken down
over 4-6 session streams (Use 4-6 drives at a time)
4. Bring up the query database after archive is complete.

Details:        Oracle 8
                AIX 4.3.3
                TSM 4.1.3
                Library IBM3494
                Drives 3590E fiber connect to SAN

We would like to find a way that would reduce or eliminate the requirement
for the query database downtime.

Can we do the backups HOT without production impact, or incrementally?  What
products would we require to help us with this endeavor (TDP for Oracle, SQL
Backtrack etc.???)

Any thoughts/information would be greatly appreciated