ADSM-L

Re: Need info on Tivoli v Backup Exec

2002-01-18 17:56:29
Subject: Re: Need info on Tivoli v Backup Exec
From: Alex Paschal <AlexPaschal AT FREIGHTLINER DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 14:53:57 -0800
Think of backup environments as sorted by size.  As a rough guesstimate, and
I'm sure people have different opinions on sizing,

NTBackup is for 1 machine.
Backup Exec is good for 1-10, maybe even 20 machines.
Veritas NetBackup is good for 10-50 machines.  (Is anybody having a good
time with it on larger implementations?)
TSM is good for 20-50 machines.
TSM is super for 50+ machines.

Scale and application support will be your guide to choosing a backup
solution.  TSM is really an Enterprise solution with pretty good application
support.

One of my TSM servers (on AIX) is backing up 200 clients (which are actually
various servers) for 2-4 TB per night over FastEthernet, ATM, GbE, and SP2
switch with very little hands-on management.  I can't do that easily with
any other product that I know of.

Alex Paschal
Storage Administrator
Freightliner, LLC