ADSM-L

Re: Software/Hardware compression?

2015-10-04 17:13:41
Subject: Re: Software/Hardware compression?
From: Cook, Dwight E (SAIC) [mailto:cookde AT BP DOT COM]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
WOW !
be careful on the "slow down" statement...
NOT THE CASE !!!!!!!!!
Actually with a big enough client it will greatly speed things up !
We have an SAP environment with a 2.7 TB data base, we back it up in less
than 18 hours using client compression
if we didn't use client compression it would take 66 hours !  (based on 42
GB/hr ie. flooded fast ethernet)
This is a Sun E10K with 64 processors (30 of which are bound to individual
backup tasks)
going to an IBM S70 TSM server with a diskpool large enough to hold one
complete backup cycle.
Oh, that is using a 100 MB/sec fast ethernet over which we push 42 GB/hr
when we use a GB link we see 56 GB/hr and can back it up in less than 13
hours...

So by using client compression we SPEED THING UP and it runs in 1/5th the
time ;-)

Dwight