ADSM-L

Re: What qualifies as an in use license?

2002-01-18 01:25:45
Subject: Re: What qualifies as an in use license?
From: Zlatko Krastev/ACIT <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 08:23:45 +0200
Bill,
I cannot agree with you that 3 frame SP need 3 licenses. IBM is talking
about ASCI White as a single supercomputer. So for me each SP is *one*
system. Moreover for both commercial (DB2 *single* partitioned database
spread over instances on each node) or scientific/technical (solving
differential equations using Parallel ESSL) load this can be thought as
single server from the application. The question is does the tiering depend
on # of processors "in a frame" or "in the frame". Or even what to do if we
have two frames - one with total 32 processors and second with only 16. The
question is just for curiosity - Wide Nodes are up to 4 processors, High
Node is up to 16, so very easily single frame can give us Tier 3 (8 nodes x
4 or 4 nodes x 16 processors). Cheating with TSM licenses will not help too
much - price of empty frame is much higher than difference between T2 and
T3.

The things get worse because IBM already announced Cluster 1600. This is
actually pSeries servers acting as SP Nodes. They run PSSP, PE, ParESSL,
etc. Server M80 or 6M1 with 8 processors roughly is having same performance
as High Node. But they are "Cluster 1600" not SP. So we should count
several Tier 2 licenses instead of one Tier 3. But if nodes are fully
loaded S80,S85 or pSeries 690 we go to several Tier 3 licenses.

If we go to Wanda's answer - when failover occurs the failing node was
active within last 30 days so counts for a license (MgSysSAN!) and the
surviving node just started to access the SAN so will need second license ?
If we count three nodes it will be cheaper - 2xSAN vs. 1xSAN+2xLAN. But
which is the correct configuration?

Jason,
do not forget that Tivoli sales people are human beings as we are. They can
also make mistakes. And as we see here there is very easy both to be right
and wrong. We are shooting in the darkness. Look the results Bill and
Daniel got - same question, two different answers. Are both salespersons
right, one is wrong (which one) or both made a mistake?

Daniel,
SuperDome *may* require Tier 3 when is 14 processors or more. 3-cell (12
proc) SuperDome ought to be Tier 2. The question there would be "is rp8400
V-Class system or not?". I think the answer should be "no" and 16-processor
rp8400 should be Tier 2. But the definition is fuzzy. With the argument
Bill pointed I feel my hands untied and can define any number of nodes for
a server.

So I am back to my main question - what is "managed system"? And the fact
we do not have consensus for the answer pinpoints the unclear part of TSM
licensing.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

Bill Mansfield <WMansfield AT SOLUTIONTECHNOLOGY DOT COM> on 17.01.2002 17:22:45