ADSM-L

Re: TSM Server on Windows - Does it work?

2015-10-04 17:13:41
Subject: Re: TSM Server on Windows - Does it work?
From: Daniel Sparrman [mailto:daniel.sparrman AT EXIST DOT SE]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
The cost of an HP LXr8500 with the configuration descripted shouldn't =
be
much lower than a UNIX box with comparable performance.

For example and IBM P-Series 610 with PowerPC processors running at =
450Mhz
would require 2 processor card to be comparable to
and 8-way HP intel machine.

So, please don't say that a UNIX box is MUCH more expensive.

What you have done is to maximize an intel machine. If you were to =
maximize
and UNIX box, it could probably handle as least 10 times the amount of
clients. And, then it would be much more expensive.

But that isn't what we're talking about.

We have a single processor machine running 180 servers, with about
500-600GB of incremental data each night.

This machine is half asleep when running backups. Thats the difference =
in
performance. Everybody knows, that if you put an intel machine against =
UNIX machine and compare I/O performance, the UNIX machine will outrun =
the
intel box without any problems.

And, almost all work that a TSM servers is doing, is related to I/O =
(disk
transactions, db transactions, migration and so on...).

Best Regards

Daniel Sparrman
-----------------------------------
Daniel Sparrman
Daniel Sparrman
Exist i Stockholm AB
Bergk=E4llav=E4gen 31D
192 79 SOLLENTUNA
V=E4xel: 08 - 754 98 00
Mobil: 070 - 399 27 51

=20

                    "Boireau, Eric

                    (MED)"                 To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

                    <eric.boireau@M        cc:

                    ED.GE.COM>             Subject:     Re: TSM Server =
on
Windows - Does it work?                   =20
                    Sent by: "ADSM:

                    Dist Stor

                    Manager"

                    <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MARI

                    ST.EDU>

=20

=20

                    2002-01-17

                    10:54

                    Please respond

                    to "ADSM: Dist

                    Stor Manager"

=20

=20

I do on Win2K Box :
More than 650 Completed backup Win9x, NT, 2K Clients backup / days
More than   80 NT/ 20 Unix Completed Backup / days
10 Exchange Servers

Volume by day 100-300 GB

It works fine used less than 50% CPU at maximum.
Server : HP LXr8500 8x PIII 700 2MB, 4GB Ram, 24x18GB Ultra3 Raid 5 =
Disk,
1Gb/s NetCard.
Library : STKL700, 6xLTO Ultrium.

The main advantage of Win2K Platfom is the cost of the Hardware =
comparing
SUN or AIX box.

Salutations / Best Regards
g            GE Medical Systems
Eric Boireau                               Global Systems
Server Architect / Technology & Infrastructure Team

GE Medical Systems S.A
283, rue de la Mini=E8re
78533 BUC Cedex France
T=E9l: (33) 1 30 70 39 32,  DC: 8*644 3932
Fax: (33) 1 30 70 42 30, DC: 8*644 3930
mailto:Eric.Boireau AT med.ge DOT com