ADSM-L

Different retentions for same file

2015-10-04 17:13:41
Subject: Different retentions for same file
From: Paul van Dongen [mailto:paul AT VANGUARD-IT.COM DOT BR]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Hello all,

   I am planning a TSM implementation ata customer who has another
backup
solution already in place. They want to slowly make TSM take over all
backups,
but they don4t want to suddenly change the work done by the production
people,
who take care of all tape movements. The present backup solution works
using
different retention times for the backed up files: the daily backups are
kept
for 20 days; the saturday ("weekly") files are kept for 40 days; the
monthly
backup is kept for 100 days, and there is a "year" backup that is kept
for 5
years.

   The question is: I could make this using backups for the daily
processes,
and to use archives for the other ones. But there are TDP4s involved
(SQLServer, Exchange and DB2) who always do backups, and if I use
something
like different management classes, I would get a lot of rebinding
problems.

   Would backupsets be the answer? Any ideas would be greatly
appreciated

Thank you all
--
Paul Gondim van Dongen