ADSM-L

Re: ADSM Questions

2002-01-15 12:44:10
Subject: Re: ADSM Questions
From: Lawrence Clark <Larry_Clark AT THRUWAY.STATE.NY DOT US>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 12:36:51 -0500
Hi Don:

You want to get the TDP for MS-SQL agent to do direct backup and restore of
MS-SQL tables, then exclude the DB from the normal file backups, and
discontinue the export of the tables to flat files for backing up by TSM.

>>> Donald.Tipton AT DAS.STATE.OH DOT US 01/15/02 12:13PM >>>
Hello:
     I'm new to ADSM and we are using it to backup a Windows 2000 server
that is running SQL Server 2000.  I had a few questions I was hoping
someone could help me with.

1.  ADSM only backs up files that are not in use or "open"?
2. Do SQL Server data files and transaction log files appear as "open" to
ADSM  when the instance is started?
3. Is the TDP product just for scheduling, keeping rack of, easy of use
etc. or does it have some other functionality as far as SQL Server backups
are concerned?  Is it a make or break product for backing up SQL Server
data and log files using ADSM?

We do have regular backups scheduled within the SQL Server Enterprise
manager and these backup files are backed up by ADSM, I'm just curious if
ADSM can give us another layer of recoverability by actually backing up the
data files themselves.

Thanks,
Don Tipton