ADSM-L

Re: mass erasing or overwriting of MP 3570 7GB tapes

2002-01-15 02:30:46
Subject: Re: mass erasing or overwriting of MP 3570 7GB tapes
From: "Seay, Paul" <seay_pd AT NAPTHEON DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 02:27:58 -0500
I sent out a note on this a couple weeks ago on 3590.  I will presume you
have an AIX system attached.  What you can do is create 3 scripts using the
MTLIB and TAPEUTIL utility that are documented with the MagStar Drivers in a
batch mode to mount each tape and do an ERASE function which clears the tape
to the end.  It takes no system resources during the erase process.  It is a
built in function of the drive.  I think the drivers are the same for 3590
and 3570 and the capabilities are the same.