ADSM-L

Re: Disaster Recovery...Has anyone really successfully done testi ng?

2002-01-14 15:14:30
Subject: Re: Disaster Recovery...Has anyone really successfully done testi ng?
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 14:46:59 -0500
The last D/R test we did last year had 340+ DLT tapes -- and we don't have
an atl on the D/R contract, just free-standing drives.

1) restore the TSM environment (os, filesystems, any other cruft required)
2) recover/re-key the device config file to match the D/R site (we keep a
copy on floppy)
3) recover the volhist (same floppy)
4) restore the TSM database from the backup tape (our 6 GB took about 30
minutes from DLT)
5) start up TSM
6) update the device config in the TSM database to match changes in step 2
7) update vol * acce=unav whereaccess=reado,readw (marks all tapes
unavailable if they were in the library)
8) update vol * acce=reado whereacce=of (marks all the off-site tapes
readonly)
9) run your restores from the readonly copypool tapes.

Depending on your D/R goals, this may be good enough. You may have a storage
pool or two you'll want to recreate from the copies

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO Inc