ADSM-L

Recovering NT TSM Server

2002-01-11 00:39:22
Subject: Recovering NT TSM Server
From: Jeff Rogers <jrogers AT MJROGERS DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 00:36:51 -0500
I'm new to TSM and I'm practicing disaster recovery.  I successfully
performed a bare metal restore on AIX, I went from one "production" (B50)
system to a different (H70) "backup" system, but I can't do the same with
Windows NT.  Here are some particulars.

All this work is for testing and education, so no emergency here.

TSM 4.1.x

The "production" system had a single DLT drive, I think it lived at
mt6.0.0.2 or something.  It was doing database/log backups to sequential
files.  I have the device config, volume history, database and log files
from the original system.

The "replacement" system has the same DLT drive, on a different
controller, I think it is mt6.0.0.3 now.   The replacement system also has
a 4mm DAT drive at mt2.0.0.2

I've tried several different things to recover my volumes, none of them
have worked.  Now after a couple install/uninstalls of the TSM Server
software, I have a mess in my service control panel that is preventing
anything from running.

What is the proper procedure for recovery to new hardware on NT?  How do I
clean up the mess in my registry?