ADSM-L

Re: Subfile Backup Experience

2002-01-10 13:30:52
Subject: Re: Subfile Backup Experience
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 13:28:20 -0500
That sounds good. I have read the docs about Subfilebackup and have 2 more
questions.

        what about the TESTFLAG Takeownership for dsm.opt is it still in
devolpment, does it work,....?
        (i'm a little confused about the name testflag) I'm aware about the
problem moving the rebuild file
        from the tsmtmp directory to its original location.

        >> Sorry I don't know anything about that.... what it is?  We've had
no problems with backups or RESTORES using subfilebackup.

        how you should handle the client cache? Should it be excluded from
normal backup?
        Are the files in it automaticaly deleted after some time or does the
tsm client wait until the cache size limit
        is reached? In my testenvironment i have many many small files in my
cache dir, although there are only little changes.

        >> Yes, the client cache should be excluded from backups.  It says
that somewhere in the white paper, I think.  As far as I can tell, stuff is
only purged from the cache when you hit the cache size limit.   ( BTW, if
you only turn on .pst files for subfile backups, what are all those files in
your cache?)  But the cache is only used during backup, not restores.  I
tried everything I could think of to damage the cache, including blowing it
away entirely.  If you hurt it, it just means that the next time you do a
backup, TSM starts over with "full" file backup of all files, just like the
first time you ever did it.  So I haven't found any way to break it.

Wanda Prather
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
Scott Adams/Dilbert

With regards,

Stefan Holzwarth