ADSM-L

Tape Drive Failures

2002-01-09 11:23:24
Subject: Tape Drive Failures
From: Bill Wheeler <Bill.Wheeler AT LA-Z-BOY DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 11:20:52 -0500
Hello *SMers,

        Just a quick question out there for all of you.   I am currently
receiving tape drive failures when trying to check in and out tapes, also
during our nightly archive.   They have been increasing during the last few
months.  My environment is Magstar 3570, 2 drives.   I am currently running
TSM 4.1.2.0 on AIX 4.3.3.   I have been cleaning the drives regularly, but
am not sure if I should be IBM involved or not.  One of the main problems is
that when the drive gets the error, the drive does not reset.  It could be
the tapes causing the problems, but the drives are still not resetting.
Just yesterday someone was checking in tapes and loaded the wrong one, but
the drive failed due wrong tape being mounted.  Then the drive did not reset
itself.   Is there anything that I can do without calling IBM to see if I
can get this fixed?

Thanks in advance,

Bill Wheeler
PDM Administrator