ADSM-L

Re: library sharing without SAN

2015-10-04 17:13:40
Subject: Re: library sharing without SAN
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Now that I think about it, I'm not sure what advantage we would gain, if
any.  Our goal is to eventually move the P3000 and f50 to another location
anyway.
Wait a minute, I just thought of a benefit... the reason we got the new
library was because we overflowed the old one.  It's still a problem
juggling tapes just to do reclaims on the old system.

Anyway, I was just curious how it would all work... I didn't think you
could define SCSI libraries to TSM as SHARED (or don't you have to?).  How
do you physically cable it? Just replace the SCSI terminator(s) with a
cable(s) to the other system?

I guess I would want to something like this (please excuse rudimentory
non-graphics):

        HP L2000 (TSM2) <-----scsi-----> HP 20/700 <-----scsi----> IBM F50
(TSM1) <-----scsi-----> ATL P3000

Then I would want to check some tapes into the 20/700 to allow TSM1 to do
reclaims.   20/700 has 553 available slots; P3000 has none.

Robin Sharpe
Berlex Labs

                    Bill Smoldt
                    <smoldt@STORS
                    OL.COM>       To:    ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                                  cc:    (bcc: Robin Sharpe/WA/USR/SHG)
                    01/09/02      Subject:
                    10:15 AM             Re: library sharing without SAN
                    Please
                    respond to
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

No special support with all the SCSI adapters that I've dealt with - mostly
Adaptec and QLogic.  The hardware has been capable of this for years and
I've used this on many OpenVMS clusters and NT "clusters".  The initiators
don't talk to each other, and the devices have to be capable of doing a
SCSI
disconnect.  All arbitration and locking for the robot and drives takes
place in the TSM Server.

Might ease your library movement, but I've never tried crossing the data
tapes between platforms.  It's certainly unsupported so you'd want to
rewrite the tapes even if it worked.  Is that what you're thinking?

Bill Smoldt
STORServer, Inc.