ADSM-L

Re: ADSM v3 on Wy2k...

2002-01-09 10:24:07
Subject: Re: ADSM v3 on Wy2k...
From: "Wayne T. Smith" <ADSM AT MAINE DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 10:21:14 -0500
Zosimo Noriega <znoriega AT ADNOC DOT COM> wrote, in part..

> I know that ADSM V3.1 is not compliance on Windows 2000 but i tried to
> use this to backup   and restore files of Windows 2000 server. I haven't
> encounter problems, except some open files that we manage to handle it
> and system objects that we manage to dump into a physical files.
>
> Can you please specify clearly what are the problems, incompatibilities,
> or possible damage on the system when we use this for Windows 2000.

If non-support from the vendor, lack of system object and unicode
support, as well as lack of "newer" server features such as backupsets,
subfile differencing and journaling are not issues of importance for
you, I have seen no problem (using client v3.1.0.8 or 4.2.1.18) on a
V3.1 server. I do however wish for a "summary" table and a serviceable
server.

If you mean V3.1 client, then I'd be less positive (that was
positive?).  The V4.2.1.18 client scheduler seems more reliable (the
V3.1 scheduler was prone to permanent sleep when the network blipped or
backup server was restarted) and many find the restore functions easier
to use than with the older client.

(We're not a big Windows client user, but have a few servers and a few
dozen workstations, mostly NT and 2000).  Hope this helps, wayne

Wayne T. Smith                          ADSM AT Maine DOT edu
ADSM Technical Coordinator - UNET       University of Maine System