ADSM-L

Re: library sharing without SAN

2015-10-04 17:13:40
Subject: Re: library sharing without SAN
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Does a configuration such as that need special support by the library?
What happens if both systems send commands to the robot?  Also, what about
the drives?  Most SCSI libraries I know of have the drives cabled directly
on their own SCSI channels.  Definitely the two I have... an ATL P3000 and
an HP 20/700.  This sounds very interesting, and I'm wondering if I can use
it while we migrate from the P3000 to the 20/700.  Currently they are
attached to two different servers - the P3000 to an F50 and the 20/700 to
an HP L2000.  As far as I know, the method of recording data on DLT tapes
differs on those two OSes, and they cannot read each others' tapes.

Robin Sharpe
Berlex Labs

                    Bill Smoldt
                    <smoldt@STORS
                    OL.COM>       To:    ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                                  cc:    (bcc: Robin Sharpe/WA/USR/SHG)
                    01/09/02      Subject:
                    08:54 AM             Re: library sharing without SAN
                    Please
                    respond to
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

You can connect a library on a SCSI bus between the two systems and share
the library the same way as you would in a SAN.  I've never tried it
between
Solaris and Windows, but it should work fine as long as the controllers
don't interfere with each other electrically (they will typically be
different brands).

The controllers must have different SCSI target addresses - I usually use
the default of 7 on one and 6 on the other.

If you just want to get some experience with shared libraries within TSM,
the simplest method is to create a second TSM server instance on the same
system.  Then you can define a shared library between the two.  I use this
method for training classes.

Bill Smoldt
STORServer, Inc.