ADSM-L

Re: library sharing without SAN

2002-01-09 09:19:51
Subject: Re: library sharing without SAN
From: Bill Smoldt <smoldt AT STORSOL DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 07:15:14 -0800
No special support with all the SCSI adapters that I've dealt with - mostly
Adaptec and QLogic.  The hardware has been capable of this for years and
I've used this on many OpenVMS clusters and NT "clusters".  The initiators
don't talk to each other, and the devices have to be capable of doing a SCSI
disconnect.  All arbitration and locking for the robot and drives takes
place in the TSM Server.

Might ease your library movement, but I've never tried crossing the data
tapes between platforms.  It's certainly unsupported so you'd want to
rewrite the tapes even if it worked.  Is that what you're thinking?

Bill Smoldt
STORServer, Inc.