ADSM-L

Cluster backups

2002-01-08 12:26:28
Subject: Cluster backups
From: "Gill, Geoffrey L." <GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 09:23:27 -0800
Hello all,

I posted a question on cluster setup some time ago but never got a helpful
answer. It seems like I've installed all the services properly, I didn't get
any errors when I did it, but everything is not being backed up....Yes the
services are started. This is on a Win2K cluster, and the client is 4.2.1.15

The 2 nodes local disk back up works fine. I installed a schedule on the
first node to back up the only instance on that node and the first night it
worked. So the next day I installed 3 schedules on the 2nd node to back up
the 3 instances there. The installation was fine and the services started.
All 4 instances use the cluster name as the node name. I can go to the node
and use the GUI to back up the data. Once in the GUI it shows ALL the SAN
connected drives, even though I am only backing up one instance and the OPT
file has the drives associated with their instance. I'm guessing this is
normal since they all use the same node name.

The scheduler starts and is just waiting there to be contacted. Since the
4th only one instance has backed up. The other ones never start or even try
to start far as I can tell. The logs just show it's sitting there waiting to
be contacted by the server, which is AIX 4.3.3 TSM 4.2.1.8

 The the big question is what did I do wrong? Why aren't all the schedules
working? Should I have a seperate node name for each instance? The Redbook I
have, old at best since it's for an NT cluster, says I can do what I did but
it doesn't seem to work.

Any help????

Geoff Gill
TSM Administrator
NT Systems Support Engineer
SAIC
E-Mail:    <mailto:gillg AT saic DOT com> gillg AT saic DOT com
Phone:  (858) 826-4062
Pager:   (888) 997-9614