ADSM-L

Re: PRESCHEDULECMD not mapping drives on NT 4.2.1.18 client - SOLVED!

2002-01-07 02:40:45
Subject: Re: PRESCHEDULECMD not mapping drives on NT 4.2.1.18 client - SOLVED!
From: Dylan Ryback <dryback AT HOME DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 00:39:02 -0700
First, thanks to TAZ for the suggested link below.  I'd read about that site
several months ago and it was a lifesaver: I was able to traverse some old
'versions' of the Tivoli site and get all the 3.7 docs and some even older
ones for the TDP SAP R/3 client.  Also, I fully appreciate that companies
update and refine their sites and other than the fact that Tivoli removed
all the pre-4.1 documentation (I can't tell you how irratating it is when
software vendors do this!), the new site is much 'slicker' and easier to
use.  Here were some links I found helpful for the 'WayBackMachine' at the
www.archive.org site (cut&paste the whole link if it wraps to the next
line):

http://www.tivoli.com/support/public/Prodman/public_manuals/storage_mgr/adma
nual.htm

http://ssddom01.storage.ibm.com/techsup/swtechsup.nsf/support/adsmmain

http://www.tivoli.com/support/storage_mgr/pubs/admanual.htm

The key is entering these links into the 'WayBackMachine' and if you don't
get a match, keep truncating from right to left up the path until you do.
Once you get a hit, you can start digging through old versions of the sites
and hopefully find the documentation you need.  Now on to the PRESCHEDULECMD
shared drive mapping problem...

I think we've either found a bug or poorly written documentation (others
have mentioned that they've recently had similar problems).  I tested
several different variations of permissions and .CMD files that called
others so I could trap some meaningful output, and in every case I continued
to get the following error:

01/05/2002 22:04:42 Executing Operating System command or script: C:\Program
Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient\drvmaps.cmd
01/05/2002 22:04:43 Finished command. Return code is: 1

The fact that it was 'Finished' in 1 second and that every attempt to
capture output generated nothing to my log file made me suspicious.  Despite
what the documentation on the 4.2.1 Windows Client says about the
"cmdstring" paramter for the PRESCHEDULECMD:

"If the command string contains blanks, enclose it in double quotes. If you
placed double quotes within the command string, use single quotes to enclose
them."

It will puke if you have spaces in the path to the cmd file and use
double-quotes around it (which is the standard convention for dealing with
paths that have spaces in them with Windows).  As mentioned below, in my
dsm.opt file I had:

PRESCHEDULECMD "C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient\drvmaps.cmd"

I changed it to (note that I removed the quotes and truncated the 'Program
Files' directory):

PRESCHEDULECMD C:\Progra~1\Tivoli\TSM\baclient\drvmaps.cmd

and it worked with no problem.  I didn't test putting single-quotes around
the double-quotes, because I didn't interpret the documentation that way
(and because I've wasted enough time on this headache).  The other thing to
remember to do if you're running a PRE/POST SCHEDULECMD to map shared drives
is to have the 'TSM Central Scheduler Service' run under an account with
domain privileges to map to those shared drives (the Local System account
does not have any network privileges).  The account must also have 'Logon as
a service' user rights.  I know these rules apply to NT4, but there may be
other 'gotchas' in Win2K.

Good luck,
Dylan