ADSM-L

Re: Message ANR8778W

2001-12-27 05:55:21
Subject: Re: Message ANR8778W
From: Michael Bartl <michael.bartl AT CW DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 11:52:20 +0100
Luis,
the TSM Messages Manual has this description for ANR8778W:

#######################################
ANR8778W Scratch volume volume name changed to Private Status to prevent
re-access.

Explanation: The scratch volume encountered an error during mount
processing that makes it unusable. The
status of the volume is changed to private so that it is not selected
for future scratch mounts. (Although the status
has become private, it is not defined to a storage pool.)

System Action: Processing continues with another scratch volume.

User Response: See previous error messages to determine the cause of the
mount failure, and correct the
problem. If the problem is a mislabeled volume or unreadable label,
relabel the scratch volume using the
dsmlabel utility with the -overwrite option. If the volume is missing
from its home slot, issue the AUDIT
LIBRARY command against the library. If the volume has lost or corrupted
VCR-data, relabel the volume. (This
reinitializes the VCR-data by writing to the volume from
beginning-of-tape.) Once the problem is corrected,
update the status of the volume to scratch by using the UPDATE LIBVOL
command.
#######################################

I think you experienced a process like with falling dominos. Examine the
actlog of the time before this process started. Hopefully you can
correct the problem and set all affected volumes back to scratch (to do
this filter out the ANR8778W Messages into a file. Reformat the file to
contain lines like "update libvol <libraryname> <volumename>
status=scratch". Then run the file with "dsmadmc script <filename>").

Good luck,
regards,
Michael

--
Michael Bartl                               mailto:michael.bartl AT cw DOT com
Michael Bartl                               mailto:michael.bartl AT cw DOT com