ADSM-L

Re: backup the share properties on windows platform

2001-12-27 01:51:54
Subject: Re: backup the share properties on windows platform
From: Dylan Ryback <dryback AT HOME DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 23:49:43 -0700
My suggestion would be creating an NT shell script/batch job that outputs
various types of documentation about the system and spools it to a text
file.  For the shares, you could create a batch file that contains something
simple like:

NET USE > E:\tsm_docs\shares.txt

Not certain if you'll get the proper documentation if it's run from the AT
service. You may need to change the service account that the Scheduler
service runs under, allow the Scheduler service to interact with the
desktop, and give that user the right to 'logon as a batch job'.  You can
also jazz it up to add date strings to the file names and keep a history of
this info.  We do something similar to continously/automatically document
our UNIX systems and it was invaluable when we experienced a catostrophic
hardware failure and had to readdress IP's to 9 NIC's, get the right Veritas
volume definitions, etc.

Let us know if this works for you.

Thanks,
Dylan