ADSM-L

Wishlist for XMAS to SanTivoli

2001-12-20 04:53:25
Subject: Wishlist for XMAS to SanTivoli
From: Michael Bartl <michael.bartl AT CW DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 10:50:16 +0100
Dear SanTivoli (short name for Tivoli Santa Claus),

my four year old son has a christmas calendar that features a little
bear that visits all the animals in the forest and asks them for their
wishes for christmas. So Mischa (that's the name of the teddy) comes to
find out that the elephant wishes a real trumpet, the parrot likes to
get a yellow hat and so on.

Ok, that brought me to the idea that we could send our wishlist to
SanTivoli. As I hope SanTivoli will be reading ADSM-L, here's a snippet
from the top of our wishlist. I'm sure other TSM-users have many more
wishes, so Mischa will visit all of them during the next days to collect
the wishes...

#####-start wishlist snippet-#####
1st wish: Client Resporting
We really need a better solution to get the client
dsmsched.log/dsmerror.log accessible from our TSM server. Today some
messages are making their way to the server actlog, some are only seen
at the client. This makes client reporting from the server side quite
impossible (or at least unreliable). Collecting all schedlog files from
all clients after each backup session gets very painful when there are
firewalls or security policies in the way. Please, SanTivoli, send us a
nice option for christmas, an option like "-logtoserver=yes".

2nd wish: Multi Stream Restores
As Kelly already pointed out, many of us need a multi-stream restore
option. When backing up data, TSM has a fine feature that creates
multiple backup streams. We'd be very happy to find a multi-stream
restore feature under our christmas tree.
#####-end wishlist snipped-#####

Many thanks in advance to SanTivoli,
best wishes to all of you,
Michael
--
Michael Bartl                               mailto:michael.bartl AT cw DOT com
Michael Bartl                               mailto:michael.bartl AT cw DOT com