ADSM-L

Re: Managing DB and Log Backups

2001-12-18 22:58:39
Subject: Re: Managing DB and Log Backups
From: Steve Harris <STEVE_HARRIS AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 13:55:22 +1000
Define your dds3 to tsm and run your DB backups to that.

>>> Jeff Rogers <jrogers AT MJROGERS DOT COM> 19/12/2001 10:06:06 >>>
Anybody know of a reference on "best practices" for TSM?  If one exists,
then it probably answers the following question.

What is the best way to handle the db and log backups with the following
meager hardware.  I ask this because using up two (or more) 100GB tapes
for our <1GB db is not acceptable.  Actually, using the tapes is not a big
deal, but using the tape slots is.

Available HW.

1 LTO drive, with a small autoloader (IBM 3581)  One slot used for
cleaning cart.
20gb of space available for disk pools (soon to be 100GB)  Have to use
this space for reclaim too.
1 DDS3 4mm drive.  Manual.

I need to get by till q2 of next year, when I can budget for a 3583 or
similar and that rather large TSM library license fee.

This e-mail, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential
and for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). This confidentiality
is not waived or lost if you receive it and you are not the intended
recipient(s), or if it is transmitted/ received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review
of this e-mail is prohibited.  It may be subject to a statutory duty of
confidentiality if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this
e-mail in error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by
telephone or by return e-mail.  You should also delete this e-mail
message and destroy any hard copies produced.