ADSM-L

Re: Recover log at 5120MB and full - Cannot start TSM

2001-12-18 11:45:05
Subject: Re: Recover log at 5120MB and full - Cannot start TSM
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 11:40:22 -0500
I have my log in NORMAL mode too and I have found the main thing
that consumes the log is clinet DB backups.  I have an Oracle on AIX
vi RMAN that drivesa it the most.  TDP for MSSQL can too.  (I have one
client that has about 15GB DB MSSQL and normally causes no problem.
One time there was a problem with client network and it had slow
comm and that drove log way up.  I guess the thing is that an individual
DB or file has to complete and it not completing uses log space.)

I have little problem with the number of clients running at once, it's just
the items above that cause any use of log space.

I have 3.7.4.0 server on AIX with 130GB Disk pool and 2 GB Recovery
Log.  About 120 clients and backup 250-300 GB a day.

David Longo

>>> Talafous AT TIMKEN DOT COM 12/18/01 10:49AM >>>
I should have specified that our TSM server is in NORMAL log mode. How can I
determine what is using recovery log space?

John G. Talafous              IS Technical Principal
The Timken Company            Global Software Support
P.O. Box 6927                 Data Management
1835 Dueber Ave. S.W.         Phone: (330)-471-3390
Canton, Ohio USA  44706-0927  Fax  : (330)-471-4034
talafous AT timken DOT com           http://www.timken.com