ADSM-L

Re: Incremental forever -- any problems?

2001-12-17 14:25:26
Subject: Re: Incremental forever -- any problems?
From: Jeff Bach <jdbach AT WAL-MART DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 13:20:06 -0600
Once you have the basics covered  (bare-metal, disaster recovery, make sure
to keep the correct data)

To restore faster, goals should be

1.      Multiple threads (how can I use 5 tape drives restoring data at
once)
                        Solutions: two copies of all data, break up client
restore, multithreaded API restore, increase amount of hardware, collocation
by filespace
2.      Minimize time WAITING for tape mounts and spinning through tapes.
                        Solutions: collocation by node, full backups,
separate data into separate storage pools
3.      Eliminate database bottle necks
                        Solutions: Increase database cache, spread across
more spindles, create separate database instances, more paths to spindles
4.      Push the throughput bottleneck down to the client
                Solution: cache data to disk, bigger server, Gigabit
ethernet on server, switched network, multiple threads on restore

Jeff Bach
Home Office Open Systems Engineering
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.

WAL-MART CONFIDENTIAL