ADSM-L

Re: Recover log at 5120MB and full - Cannot start TSM

2001-12-17 11:15:06
Subject: Re: Recover log at 5120MB and full - Cannot start TSM
From: Jonathan DeForest <JDeForest AT LCC DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 11:11:59 -0500
John,

I see one thing wrong.  Try the following:

dsmfmt -m -log newlogfilename 13

dsmserv extend log newlogfilename 12

The log file requires 1 MB of overhead, therefore the size in the last
command should be 12, not 13.  I hope this applies to your case.  I am
running TSM 4.1.4.0 on AIX 4.3.3.  I had a similar problem not long ago.

Jonathan DeForest
Lansing Community College
Lansing, MI

                    "Talafous,
                    John G."             To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    <Talafous@TIMK       cc:
                    EN.COM>              Subject:     Recover log at 5120MB and
full - Cannot start
                    Sent by:              TSM
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"
                    <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MAR
                    IST.EDU>

                    12/17/2001
                    10:22 AM
                    Please respond
                    to "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

I'm down!  TSM 3.7.2 (out of support) on AIX 4.3.2 and the recovery log is
full. I've performed the following:

dsmfmt -m -log newlogfilename 13

dsmserv extend log newlogfilename 13

The extend fails with ANR2447E EXTEND LOG: Insufficient space to extend
recovery log by requested
amount.

I then did a dsmserv dumpdb dev=3590 which executed successfully. However,
this did not reset the recovery log. The server still will not come up.

Now what do I do?  Format and reload?

Please advise ASAP.

John G. Talafous              IS Technical Principal
The Timken Company            Global Software Support
P.O. Box 6927                 Data Management
1835 Dueber Ave. S.W.         Phone: (330)-471-3390
Canton, Ohio USA  44706-0927  Fax  : (330)-471-4034
talafous AT timken DOT com           http://www.timken.com

This message and any attachments are intended for the
individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended
recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose this
communication to others; also please notify the sender by
replying to this message, and then delete it from your system.

The Timken Company