ADSM-L

Re: Management class for incr and full backups with TDP for Excha nge 2.2

2001-12-13 07:58:31
Subject: Re: Management class for incr and full backups with TDP for Excha nge 2.2
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 07:54:37 -0500
> Del, I read the readme (that sounds strange!) and it says that for
> incremental's tdp always uses unique file names so the parameter that
> governs how many copies to keep is the retonly variable. Does this mean
that
> full backups use the same name every time and the parameter to use is the
> retextra? I know with v1 it used the server name and date to denote the
> backup set name which would also be unique. Can you clear this up for
me???

Mark

Basically... you are correct:
   - For incrementals - use RETONLY
   - For full/copy/differential backups - use RETEXTRA

The README doesn't go into as much detail as the User's Guide.
In the User's Guide, in chapter 2, look
under "TDP for Exchange Version 2 Policy Recommendations",
and you will find this:

TDP for Exchange Version 2 differs significantly from TDP for Exchange
Version 1 in the manner backup objects stored on the TSM server are named.
This difference allows exploitation of automatic, policy-based expiration
capabilities provided by the TSM server. As a result, do not use TDP for
Exchange Version 1 recommended management class parameters with TDP for
Exchange Version 2. Use the following recommended policy settings for
TDP for Exchange Version 2:

TDP for Exchange stores all objects as backup objects on TSM in backup
storage pools, so an archive copy group is not required, although an
archive copy group can exist.

Set the following copy group parameters as desired to define the
version limit and retention periods for Exchange Server database
backup objects:
   Versions Data Exists
   Versions Data Deleted
   Retain Extra Versions
   Retain Only Version

It is recommended that you discuss these parameters with your
TSM Server Administrator in order to accomplish your backup strategy.

You can accept default values for the following backup copy group
parameters as they are not applicable to TDP for Exchange:
   Copy mode
   Copy serialization
   Copy frequency

Incremental backups are always uniquely named. As a result, incremental
backups do not participate in expirations (due to version limit) because
there is never more than one version of an incremental backup object.
However, all backup objects for an Exchange Server storage group are
inactivated when a new full backup of that Exchange Server
storage group is performed. Therefore, the retention period set
in the Retain Only Version parameter controls the expiration of
incremental backup objects.

When setting the value of the Retain Only Version parameter for
incremental backups, the value must be (at a minimum) as long as
the value set for the full backup objects to which the incremental
backups are associated. You can use the same management class
for incremental backups and the full backup objects
(that are retained the longest) to be sure an adequate value is used.

A single restore can require a full backup, a differential backup,
and/or multiple incremental backups. It is recommended to use
collocation if these backups are stored on removable media.
Use collocation by filespace if you plan to restore multiple
storage groups in parallel. This is recommended because all
data for any one storage group is stored within one TSM Server filespace.

Thanks,

Del

Del Hoobler
Del Hoobler
IBM Corporation
hoobler AT us.ibm DOT com

"Celebrate we will. Life is short but sweet for certain..."  -- Dave