ADSM-L

Re: Is a mix of 3590E normal tape with long-tape possible?

2001-12-12 09:57:19
Subject: Re: Is a mix of 3590E normal tape with long-tape possible?
From: "Gill, Geoffrey L." <GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 06:54:02 -0800
>In our library IBM-3494 are 3490E tape-units. This library
>will reach its
>limits for the number of cartridges.
>We think of replacing the 3490E normal tapes by long-tapes.
>
>Does TSM support a mix of different tapes?

Fred,

I have the same issue here. The modified 3590 has a green 2x sticker on
back. What I've been told is regular drives can read "J" tapes but 2x drives
can read "J" and "K" tapes. Maybe someone else can comment on this. Because
of this I've been waiting till after the upgrade of my drives to insert
them.

TSM has nothing to do with how the 3590 handles the tapes or what mix of
tapes it can read/write to. That's all hardware related. As long as the
hardware is supported the rest should be behind the scenes stuff.....

Geoff Gill
TSM Administrator
NT Systems Support Engineer
SAIC