ADSM-L

Re: Point system has me very confused

2001-12-10 17:39:48
Subject: Re: Point system has me very confused
From: Bill Mansfield <WMansfield AT SOLUTIONTECHNOLOGY DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 16:36:42 -0600
Here's the language from the announcement:

A client is a computer system or process that requests a service of another
computer system that is typically referred to as a server. Multiple clients
may share access to a common server. A client has some processing
capability, or is programmable to allow a user to do work. Examples include
laptop computers, desktop computers, and desk-side computers.

A server is a computer system that provides services to one or more
clients, or other devices over a network. Examples include, but are not
limited to, file servers, print servers, mail servers, database servers,
application servers, and Web servers. A server is defined by its use in the
customer's environment, not by its use in a Tivoli application.

I take this to mean that clients are machines that do not provide services
to other machines.  Your (unix?) CAD workstations are probably clients
under this definition.  Each "client" would require a four point license.

The good news (?) is that your excess points can be allocated to new
clients that may come on board.
_____________________________
William Mansfield
Senior Consultant
Solution Technology, Inc

                    Tab Trepagnier
                    <Tab.Trepagnier@LA       To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    ITRAM.COM>               cc:
                    Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject:     Re: Point system has
me very confused
                    Dist Stor Manager"
                    <[email protected].

                    12/10/2001 03:00
                    PM
                    Please respond to
                    "ADSM: Dist Stor
                    Manager"

Paul / Steve,

By that definition, one would not need a purchased license for
"workstations" since the four-point license is for tier-1 servers.  Yet
we've had to purchase tier-1 client licenses for ALL of our machines that
currently back up to TSM, even the CAD workstations that are about half of
our total client count.  If what you say is correct, we were ripped off.

Tab Trepagnier
TSM Administrator
Laitram Corporation

"Seay, Paul" <seay_pd AT NAPTHEON DOT COM>@VM.MARIST.EDU> on 12/09/2001 10:07:03