ADSM-L

TDP Oracle 2.2 with SAP R/3 on HP-UX

2001-12-07 09:15:06
Subject: TDP Oracle 2.2 with SAP R/3 on HP-UX
From: Robin Sharpe <Robin_Sharpe AT BERLEX DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 09:12:05 -0500
We are trying to use TDP Oracle 2.2 with SAP R/3 4.5 on HP-UX 11.0 and
Oracle 8.0.6.
I know this is not the recommended configuration... we will probably look
at TDP for R/3 next year.  In the meantime, our SAP Basis team wants to get
familiar with RMAN, so we're trying TDPO.

The problem is in linking TDPO into Oracle.  I already have it linked for
another Oracle instance on the same box, using Oracle 8.1.6.  That one
worked just like the manual states, by linking $ORACLE_HOME/lib/libobk.sl
to /usr/lib/libobk.sl.   But the SAP instance did not have a libobk.sl,
instead it had a libobk.a.ora.   We tried removing that file, then doing
the link as the manual states.

But wait... then I realized the instructions for Oracle 8.0.x were
different.... we should run a 'make' command.... did that, and it seemed to
work OK, but it isn't working.  Message from RMAN says it is looking for
/usr/lib/libobk.sl....

Then I saw a post out here saying the TDPO manual actually refers to the
Oracle README file, which I checked.... the README says the relink ('make'
command) is no longer needed, and gives similar instructions as TDPO manual
to create a symbolic link...

Now we're very confused.... for Oracle 8.0.6 do we need to relink (make),
or create a symbolic link?   And, is there something special about R/3 that
uses a different file than libobk.sl?  Has anyone else attempted doing TDPO
with R/3?   Or are there issues with running two different releases of
Oracle on the same machine?

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!

Robin Sharpe
Berlex Labs