ADSM-L

Re: TSM and VTS - virtual volumes

2001-12-06 09:53:35
Subject: Re: TSM and VTS - virtual volumes
From: Zlatko Krastev/ACIT <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 16:53:28 +0200
If VTS is artifically configured TSM server backend this leads to another
question - virtual volumes performance.
We read recently on the list that TSM using VTS is having not so good
performance. Is this true or not I cannot prove and cannot have clear
opinion.
But virtual volumes are by definition TSM server backing up to TSM server.
And if TSM-TSM performance is good why not TSM-VTS (i.e. TSM) performance
be good? And how we can define "good" or "better" or "average"? If TSM-VTS
is performing "not so good" is TSM-TSM having similar performance (measured
in GB/hour or something similar)? If both perform at comparable speeds can
we say both are "not so good" or TSM-TSM performs better?
Sorry for asking so many questions. I have no mainframe (and VTS) to answer
them by myself.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

Michael Bartl <michael.bartl AT CW DOT COM> on 03.12.2001 10:48:11
Please respond to michael.bartl AT de.cw DOT com