ADSM-L

Need help on TSM offiste DR setup.

2001-12-04 11:09:39
Subject: Need help on TSM offiste DR setup.
From: "LY, Tuan (Kanata)" <TLY AT MDS.NORDION DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 11:07:35 -0500
Hi All,

We are currently using TSM 4.1.1 ( dual CPU) on AIX 4.3.3 with the 3584
Lib.I have recently completed the migration of all the servers backup from
Arcserve to TSM. I would like to get inputs on how to implement the TSM
policy vs the old Arcserve traditional backup method. On the TSM, we have
setup two primary diskpools, collocated (82 GB) and non-collated (24 GB) and
one copy pool for offiste storage (TSM DRM).

1) Old days Arcserve backup :
    Daily - keep 30 days
    Weekly - 1 month
    Montly - 7 years
    Yearly - forever

What happened is most of the sysadmin did not give me a clear direction on
the policy. All they say was  keep the backup strategy as before ( mentioned
above ) . And on TSM, they want to be able to restore any copy of file
within the 5 years time frame which I think is too much. Right now, I'm
backing up about 30 servsers with the policy of keeping almost everything
for 5 years.The nightly backup data transfer is about 70 GB. However there
are 50 GB of data that is belong to mail database which I don't need to keep
for 5 years but I still need to keep the monthly one for two years and daily
for 30days.
Right now, the TSM has been running just over a year and I can see my
offsite copy tapes are increasing. This doesn not help for lowering the
offsite storage cost and also my DB vol is getting full (4 GB 70 % utilized)
which is fill up quicker that I have planned. I heard that there is a
limitation on TSM 4.1.1 that the log vol can not growth bigger that 4 GB ?

My question is, instead of sending out 70 copy pool tapes for offiste
storage. What is the best way to setup with the TSM policy like the old
backup method mentioned above and be able to make a copy of full backup of
all the servers at the most current state and put them on a set of tapes and
send them offsite as for fulll backup and for DR purpose as on the weekly
basis. My goal is to have a copy of all the most recent copy of full backup
on all servsers and  instead of having 70 tapes sitting offsite, with the
proper setup, I only need to send let say 20 tapes offsite on the weekly
basis. Since I have only two days of windows on the weekend, I'm not sure if
I can have all the server's full backup done on time for Monday to send them
offsite. So, what is the best way to implement, backup sets, archive, or
image backup ? Do I have setup a third and fourth stgpool (Archive and
monthly) ? Will any of these method help to lower the tape usage and
verions. ( Instead of keeping everyting for 5 years, and if the weekly full
backup work, hopefully I can lower the retention of files and versions from
5 years down to 2 years or even can apply shorter retention time better
versioning control).

OS Platform :

TSM CLIETN 4.1.2.19 for  NT 4, WIN2K
TSM CLIENT 3.7 for  HP-UX 10.2

Thanks for your time and your input will be greatly appreciated.

Tuan Ly
MDS Nordion
tly AT mds.nordion DOT com