ADSM-L

Re: FW: ConsoleEventHandler() Messages

2001-11-30 14:43:15
Subject: Re: FW: ConsoleEventHandler() Messages
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 14:39:57 -0500
I'm not sure what kind of elaboration you are looking for regarding my
November 18 post. What part do you need me to elaborate on?

But in answer to your question near the bottom of this post, this would be
initiated external to TSM. As to whether it is user or system-initiated, I
can not say for sure. I guess if I had to pick one, I'd say user... but
then someone could also have automated something that triggers this event.
For example, those messages could have been logged if the system was shut
down and rebooted while in the middle of a backup, or if the scheduler was
stopped, then restarted. If the backup window was still open, then the
scheduled backup would have restarted, as QUERY EVENT showed you.

As to what the *exact* cause of this is, I can't say. But there is nothing
here to suggest a problem with TSM itself. (Doesn't mean it can't be a
heretofore unknown TSM problem, but the fact that the scheduler is
restarting on its own suggests some intervention external to TSM.)

Your message implies that this has happened more than once, but you don't
say how many times. If it is happening multiple times, then you and/or the
machine's owner/administrator will need to play "detective" to get a
better understanding as to what is happening on the system. Some questions
to ask yourself: Does it happen at around the same time every night? When
did it start to happen? What changes were made to the system or network
around the time this started to occur? Is this a (usually) unattended
server, or is it a user workstation? Is there anything in the Windows
Event Log around that timeframe that might shed some light on the matter?
And so on....

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

"Malbrough, Demetrius" <DMalbrough AT TTIINC DOT COM>
11/30/2001 10:41